A series of severe storms and persistent flooding across Indiana has claimed at least six lives since August 11, according to Liz Woods, a spokesperson for the state Department of Homeland Security. The victims include a 4-year-old boy, two men, and three women. In Jennings County, the young boy was killed on Tuesday when strong winds caused a tree to fall through his bedroom. Reflecting on the tragedy, Deputy Chief Cody Low told a local ABC affiliate, “This is obviously unexpected. There’s nothing we can say that is going to make it any better. We’re going to push through this as a community.”
Other fatalities occurred as a result of the dangerous conditions. On Saturday, authorities recovered the body of a 19-year-old man in Delaware County, identified as Matthew Morey. Officials reported that Morey had jumped into the swollen Mississinewa River with friends three days earlier. In the same county, search teams discovered the body of 58-year-old Stephanie Sallee and her dog in a cornfield near her vehicle. Investigators believe her car was swept away while she was attempting to drive on a flooded roadway.
The impact of the weather has been historic, with the White River reaching a crest of more than 24 feet (7.32 meters) in the communities of Anderson and Noblesville. This level surpasses records that had stood since 1913. Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett noted that the capital city is experiencing its most severe flooding event in over three decades.
By midday Sunday, the situation began to show signs of improvement as rains eased in several regions. Christine Altman, president of the Hamilton County board of commissioners, expressed cautious optimism during a briefing, stating, “I must admit it is a good morning. It’s not raining, and the water is receding.” While Hamilton County reported no fatalities, officials are currently evaluating significant damage to a local bridge to determine if it can be repaired or requires a full replacement.
In Indianapolis, the Department of Public Works reported that floodwaters peaked early Sunday morning. Emergency crews had previously conducted boat rescues for residents stranded by rising water, and emergency shelters remain operational following the evacuation of hundreds of homes located along the river and its canal systems. The city plans to reopen its floodgates as conditions stabilize.
Despite the receding waters, the National Weather Service has cautioned that flash flooding and heavy rain remain a risk for parts of central Indiana throughout the day. Recovery efforts are now underway in the northern sections of the state where conditions have begun to dry out.
Infrastructure remains strained across the state, with approximately 130,000 utility customers still without electricity as of midday Sunday. This figure reflects a decrease from the peak of 300,000 outages reported earlier in the week, based on data from the utility tracker PowerOutage.us and state officials. The report also notes that who was headed to Purdue University, and warn of the dangers of swollen rivers, family and friends gathered earlier in the week at the bridge to remember the recent high school graduate. The report also notes that her family remembered her as a compassionate and loving person who adored her grandchildren and other young relatives, in a statement shared with local news outlets. The report also notes that first responders used boats to rescue people stranded by rapidly rising floodwaters. The report also notes that indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said the flooding was the worst the capital city has seen in more than 30 years.
