A fast-moving wildfire, identified by authorities as human-caused, has triggered large-scale evacuations in northwest Nevada. The blaze, dubbed the Hawk Fire, originated near the Hawk Meadow Trail on Saturday and has since expanded to cover more than 4,450 hectares (10,500 acres) as it pushes from the Sierra Nevada foothills toward the city of Reno.
The situation escalated rapidly throughout the weekend, driven by a combination of dry vegetation, low humidity, and powerful, gusty winds. Truckee Meadows Fire and Rescue Chief Richard Edwards described the blaze as a highly dynamic incident, noting that wind conditions are significantly complicating containment efforts. At least six people have sustained injuries as the fire continues to threaten residential areas.
Emergency officials have issued evacuation orders for 42,000 residents, while an additional 45,000 people remain in a warning zone. Authorities are urging those in the path of the fire to leave immediately to clear roads for emergency responders. Mayor Hillary Schieve emphasized the urgency of these directives, stating that while structures have already been lost, human life remains the absolute priority.
In response to the crisis, Governor Joe Lombardo has declared a state of emergency for Washoe County. This move has enabled the deployment of the Nevada National Guard, with 60 troops and two helicopter crews currently assisting with aerial firefighting and neighborhood security. Approximately 400 personnel from various local, state, and federal agencies are actively working to suppress the flames.
The impact on local infrastructure has been significant, with nearly 10,000 homes and businesses losing power by Sunday. While the Reno-Sparks Convention Center has opened its doors to displaced residents, pet owners are being directed to separate facilities for animal care. Local casinos have also stepped in to provide discounted lodging for those forced from their homes.
For many residents, the speed of the disaster was jarring. Local resident Tyler Duvall noted that the fire seemed like a minor issue on Saturday morning, only to become an immediate threat by the following day. Similarly, recent transplant Ted Melden, who moved to Reno from South Carolina earlier this month, has faced a series of natural challenges, including hailstorms and floods, in his short time in the region.
Despite the widespread disruption, Reno-Tahoe International Airport remains operational, with commercial flights continuing as scheduled. Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam confirmed the investigation into the fire’s origin is complete, officially classifying the incident as human-caused. As firefighting efforts continue, officials maintain that early evacuation is the most effective way to protect both citizens and the responders on the front lines. The report also notes that “If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a statement posted on social media late on Saturday night. The report also notes that “Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze,” the mayor noted. Officials said at a news conference Sunday afternoon that 42,000 residents have been ordered to evacuate. The report also notes that an additional 45,000 people were in the evacuation warning zone, and encouraged to leave now and be prepared to stay away for several days to clear the roads for first responders. The report also notes that casinos in Reno have also offered discounts on hotel rooms to evacuees. The report also notes that reno has a population of more than 280,000 residents. The report also notes that “The wind really blew it up,” he said, adding that he knows of some homes that burned about a mile (1.6km) from his place.

