The uncontained Hawk Fire, which officials have identified as human-caused, is currently tearing through the landscape near Reno, Nevada. The blaze has prompted Gov. Joe Lombardo to declare a state of emergency for Washoe County as the fire continues to grow, having already consumed approximately 13,000 acres by Sunday with no containment in sight.
The scale of the threat is significant, with 42,000 people currently under mandatory evacuation orders, according to Shane Akerson, a unified incident commander with the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District. An additional 45,000 residents remain in yellow warning zones, advised to prepare for immediate departure. Sheriff Darin Balaam has urged those in warning areas to evacuate early to mitigate the risk of severe traffic congestion in the densely populated region.
The human toll of the disaster has already been felt, with three civilians and three first responders sustaining injuries. Furthermore, approximately 5,000 residents are currently without power. Local officials have emphasized the gravity of the situation; Mayor Hillary Schieve stressed that while structures have already been lost, human life remains the absolute priority. Gov. Lombardo echoed these sentiments, urging residents in affected areas to remain vigilant and follow evacuation directives without delay.
The fire’s rapid progression has been fueled by a combination of dry brush, low humidity, and gusty winds. While roughly 800 firefighters are currently engaged in suppression efforts, high winds have hampered their ability to establish containment lines. The National Weather Service anticipates that while winds may shift and weaken slightly, gusty conditions are expected to persist throughout the week, potentially spreading smoke across the Reno metropolitan area.
Institutional operations have been significantly disrupted by the advancing flames. Northwest Specialty Hospital, situated within an evacuation warning zone, has initiated the transfer of rehabilitation and behavioral health patients as a precautionary measure. Meanwhile, the University of Nevada is actively supporting students impacted by the fire, maintaining an emergency response plan should conditions deteriorate further. The evacuation perimeter now extends to the edge of the university campus.
Regional cooperation is also underway, with California Gov. Gavin Newsom confirming that his administration is monitoring the situation closely. State and local partners are coordinating efforts on the ground and through aerial support to combat the blaze. Local residents, such as Ken McNeil of the Somersett neighborhood, have praised the extensive use of airtankers, noting that the rugged, inaccessible terrain makes aerial intervention essential to the firefighting strategy. The report also notes that an incident commander says, as 90,000 residents are urged to evacuate, the uncontained Hawk Fire near Reno was human-caused. The report also notes that the fast-growing brush fire had already forced thousands of residents of northwestern Reno from their homes after igniting Saturday afternoon and prompted Nevada Gov. The report also notes that there are assessments underway to determine how many structures have been lost to the fire, Akerson added. The report also notes that 🌧️ Get your local forecast in Weather app. The report also notes that time-lapse video showed, the wildfire could be seen rapidly advancing on a downwards slope toward illuminated neighborhoods of Reno late Saturday. The report also notes that officials said, but the high winds had complicated efforts to contain it, some 800 firefighters have been battling the blaze. The report also notes that ken McNeil, who lives in the Somersett neighborhood in an evacuation zone, said affiliate KTVN his wife is more than prepared to get them out.

